Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Events for 8/25 - 8/31/2006

Sorry about the Frye opening. It was on Friday and not on Saturday.
I feel bad about it and I am making up for it with a Cold Lava Report that also downgrades the show.

This looks like a quite week. I could only find three events for you.
Maybe it's because everybody is leaving town for Burning Man?
I doubt it. But I don't have any other explanation at hand.

Friday, 8/25
7:00 PM WHEEL OF TIME @ NWFF

Saturday 8/26
7:00 PM free bike love at sand point magnuson park

Monday 8/28
7:00 PM Paranormal Meetup

Friday, 8/25

WHEEL OF TIME @ NWFF

AUG 25-27 Fri-Sun at 7, 9pm (plus Sat, Sun at 5pm)
CALLS OF THE WILD: WERNER HERZOG
WHEEL OF TIME
(Werner Herzog, Germany, 2003, 35mm, 80 min.)
Buddha found enlightenment sitting under a tree in Bodh Gaya, India, and today Buddhist monks are ordained in this holy place. Werner Herzog - who claimed to have once walked from Munich to Paristakes the monks' lengthy pilgrimage, which can comprise more than 3000 miles for some, and their creation of the intricate Wheel of Life sand mandala as jumping-off points for a thoughtful, highly personal look at what Buddhism means to its most fervent adherents as well as to the rest of us. In English and Tibetan with English subtitles

"The assembly and eventual destruction...[of the Kalachakra sand mandala] is the cycle around which the German director Werner Herzog's absorbing documentary is structured." Stephen Holden, NEW YORK TIMES.

ALL NWFF’S FILMS ONLINE AT http://www.nwfilmforum.org/cinemas/calendar.php

Saturday 8/26

free bike love at sand point magnuson park

Bicycle films, live music, bike-goods raffle, beer, bike-repair demos,
and more


This Saturday, Aug 26, 7:00 pm
Sand Point Magnuson Park (follow signs)
FREE; open to everyone

Northwest Flm Forum announces SEATTLE'S BIKE-IN, an outdoor bike-themed
extravaganza featuring films from local and national filmmakers on a
big outdoor screen, live music, bike repair demonstrations, dancing,
and more. The event's free, and open to bike enthusiasts of all ages.

Flms for SEATTLE'S BIKE-IN have been curated from the recent local
BICYCLE FILM CHALLENGE and other bicycle films. Local films shown will
include a satire about Seattle's bike-friendliness, a mockumentary
following the life of a tricycle messenger, and a stop-motion short
shot in the style of early French cinema; other films in the program
include Louis Malle's dazzling and impressionistic VIVE LA TOUR; the
disturbingly funny 1950s bike-safety short ONE GOT FAT, and a splendid
musical about Critical Mass, TINY EXPLOSIONS.

Bicycle Film Challenge Films:
SEATTLE UNDERSTANDS BICYCLES!
BIKEYBLOSSOM
TRIKE MESSENGER
MANQUER
DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER MOTHERFUCKER!
DEAD BABY BIKES (Work in Progress)

Featured performances will include:

BMX bicycle dancing from Locust Dance Company, brainchild of
choreographer/video artist Amy O'Neal and composer Zeke Keeble;

Music from Bicycle, the sonic art project of Seattle musician Kurt
Liebert;

The Balkan-influenced dance band Orkestar Zirkonium;

And the stylings of Pillow Flight, Fight!

In addition to featured performers and film screenings, there will be a
beer tent from New Belgium Brewery, a raffle featuring a custom-made
bags from Reload and Alchemy Goods, and services from the Bikery. The
Bikery will give hands-on demonstrations of bicycle repair.

Partnering organizations are the Cascade Bicycle Club, the Vera
Project, the Bikery, New Belgium Brewery, and Alchemy Goods.

More info can be found at www.nwfilmforum.org/bike, or call Northwest Film Forum
at 206.329.2629.

Monday 8/28

Paranormal Meetup

Seattle Spin writes:

Meetup: Paranormal Meetup, Aug 28th, free. It's a mini X-Files group, discussing UFO's, ghosts, psychic phenomena, and whatever else exists on the metaphysical plane. The obvious joke is—the psychics should already know about this meeting.

http://paranormal.meetup.com/386/

Cold Lava Report

Darger Opening @ Frye (Friday, 8/18/2006)

Again, sorry about the Frye opening. It was on Friday and not on Saturday.
That was my bad. Well, I actually managed to not miss it but I did not like the show one bit. I think, showing Darger's work to the public is not right. I thought: "How would I like it if Frye showed my impressive fingernail collection, the giant hairball I hide in my garage, or my 3000 pages book 'How to destroy Spain in less in a month'" - Oops, now you know my little secrets.

But seriously, Darger's work is private. It's creepy and sad like many people's private life. Let's face it: His unique style was not a product of choice - he just didn't have enough money to do it right. Now it is being shown at Frye as an example for some sort of Savant Deluxe Art. The message is clear but wrong: Even confused janitors can be artists.

In order to end this downgrade on a lighter note let me throw in a little story about wrong assumptions and penises. When I was at the Frye opening I ran into Greg (Vital 5) Lundgren. He introduced me to his friend who I assumed to be part of the community that saw Manslaughter and loved it. Either way, I eventually excused myself by saying: "I'll catch up with you guys later. I need to see more penises!" - which is a perfect way to end a conversation with Greg in case you don't know him. I was of course referring to Darger's Vivian girls that he portrayed with penises for whatever reasons. But his friend was shocked, I left her speechless. Her jaws dropped to the floor. She either was not familiar with Darger's work, or she was just not expecting what I was saying.

Well, that was my little Cold Lava Report. I should do that more often.
Now excuse me, I need to see more penises.

Don Volcano

No comments: