Sunday, March 4, 2007

Events for 9/3 to 9/9/2004

This week I have only two events that are worth mentioning: Bumbershoot and Cheb I Sabbah. It's not that I am holding back with my event recommendations. There are just not too many events I find interesting.

Okay, IQU is having a free CD release party ("HELIO SEQUENCE") at Chop Suey starting at 9pm. Also on Friday there is Bally Sagoo Show @ Showbox. But that will cost you $22 - way too much for music that was interesting maybe three years ago. If you are desperate and bored to tears with your life you might want to go to an abstract art exhibition opening at the Kirkland Arts Center on September 9th (the art looks pretty shitty, though). And there is always I Heart Shiva at the Baltic Room on Mondays. But you are not that desperate, are you?

Friday, 9/3
5:00 PM Bumbershoot 9/3-6

Saturday, 9/4
9:00 PM Cheb I Sabbah @ Mirabeau Room


Friday, 9/3

Bumbershoot 9/3-6

I have never liked Bumbershoot. But for some unexplainable reasons I always end up spending at least one day there every year. Last year I went too and saw Evanescence in a stadium filled with teenagers. This year I will definitely not go. They also raised the ticket prices from $28 for two days to $25 for one day a week ago. I didn't see any band or bands (maybe with the exception of Public Enemy and Bebel Gilberto) that would justify that kind of ticket price. But if you are into watching other peoples' kids melting down and living out their tantrums your money will be well spent.

If you do decide to go check out the visual arts exhibition, especially the photo show put together by the Photo Center North West at the Northwest Courts building north of the Key Arena. I went to the Bumbershoot Gala on Thursday and I liked the photo exhibition a lot.

Also notice that there are always Bumbershoot after hours parties. There is one on Saturday from 1:30 AM to 4:00 AM (that makes it Sunday morning then) at the LOFT on first south. They are having a party with Darek Mazzone, Maga Bo (Brazil), Deepayan Acharyija, Kevin S. on Keyboard.

Let me also throw in Wissam's (Culture Theory) recommendations for Bumbershoot:

· 9/3 TAARKA @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/3 AllGoRhythms @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/3 Cambalache @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/3 Omar Faruk Tekbilek & His Ensemble @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/3 Kultur Shock @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/3 Burning Spear @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/3 Thomas Mapfumo & The Blacks Unlimited @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/4 Sonando @ Northwest Court Lounge
· 9/4 Bakra Bata? Music, Dance and Masquerade Ensemble @ Bumbrella
Stage
· 9/4 Obo Addy and Kukrudu @ Bagley Wright Theatre
· 9/4 Voices in Wartime @ Bagley Wright Theatre
· 9/5 Dub Championz @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/5 Ka Liko ?The Rising Stars of Hawaii? featuring Makana, Jake Shimabukuro & Raiatea Helm @ McCaw Hall
· 9/5 Quasi Nada @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/5 DJ Cheb I Sabbah @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/5 Darek Mazzone @ MASS Ensemble?s Drum Orb Stage on the Fountain
Lawn
· 9/5 Plastilina Mosh @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/5 Natalie MacMaster @ McCaw Hall
· 9/6 The Marley Brothers, Toots & the Maytals @ Memorial Stadium
· 9/6 Show Brazil! @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/6 South Asian Femme @ 1 Reel Film Festival
· 9/6 Michael Shrieve?s Tangletown @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/6 Bebel Gilberto @ McCaw Hall
· 9/6 Control Machete @ Bumbrella Stage
· 9/6 3 Leg Torso @ Northwest Court Lounge

http://www.bumbershoot.org
www.CultureTheory.com

Saturday, 9/4

Cheb I Sabbah @ Mirabeau Room

Ten bucks is cheap. I am recommending this show. Cheb i Sabbah comes to Seattle quite often. But in his case I don't mind it because he is pretty good. Although I have heard that his shows sometimes suck when he has a bad day.
The rest: Darek Mazzone will be spinning with him, VJ work by James Drage, doors are at 9:00pm.

Mirabeau Room, $10, 9pm.


Letters to the Editor.

RAKSHA BANDHAN / RAKHI (8/30/2004)

i'm not impressed with the inclusion of Rakhi on your list of party
events. while Rakhi is a nationally celebrated holiday in India, the
"bollywood mafia" understands its not something to be capitalized on (though
maybe you don't). Rakhi is more of a private ceremony than a public
event. it's weird seeing it on your list since its a personal at-home
weird indian family type of celebration with incense and prayers, not a
baltic-room-style dance party with icky indian guys hitting on me (that
would be cheesy).

nonetheless, happy rakhi!

bollywood mafia wannabe,
naina


Dear Naina,

How did you guys manage to get that bleeding horse head into my bed while I was sleeping? Happy rakhi to you too!

Don Volcano.

No comments: